Transitioning from Universal Google Analytics to Google Analytics 4 can seem daunting, but if you start to organize your data strategy now, the transition can be seamless and easy.
This article is for anyone who wants to set up Analytics (using a Google Analytics 4 property) on a new website or app.
Create an Analytics account
Your first step is to set up an Analytics account, unless you already have one. Skip to creating a property unless you want to create a separate account for this website and/or app. For example, you might want to create another account if this website and/or app belong(s) to a separate business.
- In Admin, in the Account column, click Create Account.
- Provide an account name. Configure the data-sharing settings to control which data you share with Google.
- Click Next to add the first property to the account.
Create a Google Analytics 4 property
You need Edit permission to add properties to a Google Analytics account. If you created this account, you automatically have Edit permission. You can add up to 100 properties to an Analytics account. To raise this limit, reach out to your account manager.
To create a property:
- Are you continuing from “Create an Analytics account”, above? If so, skip to step 2. Otherwise,
In Admin, look at the Account column to make sure that you’ve selected the right account. Then, in the Property column, click Create Property.
- Enter a name for the property and select the reporting time zone and currency. Time zone determines the day boundary for your reports regardless of where the data originates.
If you choose a time zone that honors Daylight Savings Time, Analytics automatically adjusts for time changes. Use Greenwich Mean Time if you don’t want to adjust for Daylight Savings Time.
Changing the time zone only affects data going forward. If you change the time zone for an existing property, you may see a flat spot or a spike in your data, caused by the time shift forwards or backwards, respectively. Report data may refer to the old time zone for a short period after you update your settings, until Analytics servers have processed the change.
- Click Next. Select your industry category and business size.
- Click Create and accept the Analytics Terms of Service and the Data Processing Amendment.
Add a data stream
- Are you continuing from “Create a property”, above? If so, skip to step 2. Otherwise,
In Admin, look at the Account column to make sure that you have your desired account selected. Then, look at the Property column to make sure that you have your desired property selected.
In the Property column, click Data Streams.
- Click Add stream, then click iOS app, Android app, or Web.Set up data collection (for websites)
You’ll need to add the Analytics tag to your web pages to begin seeing data in your new Google Analytics 4 property.
GROW YOUR BUSINESS WITH GK WEB AGENCY MARKETING
As Australia’s premier digital marketing agency, GK Web Agency has a reputation for delivering marketing that works. We make the web with an team of digital marketing experts. So if you’re looking to grow your business with a stellar marketing strategy, reach out to us! We’d love to chat with you about how we can take your marketing to the next level.